Monday, January 30, 2012

Do basketball knee high socks help reduce or prevent shin splints?

I have shin splints now and they hurt even if I am sitting down at my computer. I am in the middle of the basketball season at my high school. I know I can't rest for a few days because I have many games coming up. I thought that if I were to buy knee high basketball socks they would help my shin splints. Would knee high basketball socks help prevent or reduce shin splints? What are knee high basketball socks for?Do basketball knee high socks help reduce or prevent shin splints?
Hello,



Knee high socks will not help you prevent or reduce shin splints. Some players do where the shin braces and they have mixed results - for some people they help but for others do nothing. You can find them online for around $30.



If you have heaps of games coming up, you are going to have to rest them all the time in between. Go light even at team training sessions and work out if they are anterior or posterior shin splints - the latter is the harder of the 2 to treat.



When you are sitting at your computer you need to be icing them to reduce the damage. Before you do any activity you need to massage the surrounding muscles of the tibia where the problem is (don't worry - you will soon feel the spot). This will get some relief into the surrounding tissue you have over-used.



See if by doing this you can get through your games better and at least get some relief. I say get some relief because if you want to keep playing, it is unlikely they will go away altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment